Monday, June 14, 2010

Sandbags, sandbags, sandbags.....

After a cold and wet weekend, the rivers that converge on Lander, Wyoming look to flood once again.

Jackson Hole Fire/EMS was requested to send resources to the flooding area, about a 3 hour drive from Jackson. Upon direction from Chief Watsabaugh, I arrived in Lander this morning and reported into Command. For some time, it was unclear what my job would be. There was talk of a night shift and then Operations found me and directed me to Division Bravo. There, I found the local county fire chief waiting for the power company to turn on power after a back hoe had hit the power line above. Fortunately, no one was hurt. I got the tour around Squaw Creek (beautiful Utah-looking country) and then around to a drainage whose name I can only remember started with "B". The landscape is flourescent green and lush. Mules ears are blooming yellow and red paint brush reach up toward today's sunlight. After so many days of overcast and cold, in today's sunny, warm weather one could almost see things grow! The warm weather, however, has the rivers rising again. We'll see what the early morning hours bring; that's the time when the river will crest.

The Army Corps of Engineers started building the "Wall of Lander", as named by the workers, last Saturday. I have been unable to determine exactly how far it streches, but it is an impressive fortress!! Lander is the confluence of several waterways spilling out of the lovely Winds, the mountains that grace the western horizon. Many homes have, and may again, flood. Ranch trucks covered in the local brown/red mud roam town. About 1500 hours, it was determined that, alas, I would be part of the night crew!

I understand the crest of last week's flood was on Tuesday. I will know more from tonight's planning meeting to be held at 2100 hours (argh, when my shift will start), but worry seems to focus on tonight and tomorrow night's runoff. Weather is reportedly moving in and that could cool things off. Another day like today, and tomorrow I will have pictures of the "Lander Wall" in action!!

I have heard there are over 200 National Gaurd troops here. Fellow worker Butch Gosselin is here, but I fear I may never find him. The operations of managing the flood are spread out over at least a 30 mile area. Troops are everywhere - and they all look the same!! Butch had better be looking for me in my bright, green JH Fire truck!! Who knows where he might be!

Time to rest. This is all I'll get before the night's work. Put my site on your favorites; I'll try to update every day; probably around this time.

No comments: