Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Waiting

One of the things I like about traveling is having some down time.  We have been very busy at the Vision 20/20 Symposium and Steering Committee gathering in Reston, VA.  I arrive at my gate two hours ahead of boarding.  Pre check is a good thing!  The chairs around me are slowly filling up with western-like people; donned in blue jeans, hair flowing, no make up.  We are more casual out west.


The work of Vision 20/20 revolves around reducing risk for communities; specifically, home safety visits to check and replace or install smoke alarms.  Research shows that most smoke alarms are missing or so old they no longer function.  When was the last time you checked yours?  Is it older than 10 years?  Got one in the bedroom?

I am here representing the wildland fire world.  Still not sure how I fit in, but have gained a bit of ground on my place this year.  Wildland fire, rural, volunteer firefighter.  These are my key words in a group of super-smart, healed-in professionals.  I am humbled in their presence; often feeling quite like the country bumpkin!  The leader of the group is a western guy, Jim Crawford, who helps me feel like I fit - even though, as said, I'm not really sure how!

They flew me out here, they put me up, they fed me, surrounded me by smart people, and sent me home with new ideas and projects. 

Heading home to a hot tub!  I know, right???!!!  Been dreaming of a hot tub for years, saying, "you know we have arrived when we have a hot tub!"  A friend asked if we would take his hot tub.  It is a soft-sided thing with all the parts and pieces, hardly used.  Mike has been working on it.  The report today is that it is up to 92 degrees; still heating.  What an amazing addition to our life.  Still working on how to say thanks for this unexpected and soon to be enjoyed addition to our humble hovel. 

 
There is a perfect spot on the side rail for a gin and tonic.  Imagine a -5 degree night with snowflakes and I'll show you how wonderful a hot tub can be!!!  Just outside our back door, we will be able to enjoy the dark winter nights, gazing north to see the Big Dipper, just above the layer of steam.  I can feel relaxation as I imagine this!!  Thank you Bill and Gwen.  You really do not understand how wonderful your hot tub is going to be in our life!! 
 


No comments: