Tuesday, December 26, 2017

The Grinch Who Stole Christmas

The alarm came in at 5:32 Christmas Eve.  Mike and I had just arrived at a Christmas Eve party where we were to wear our Ugly Christmas sweaters, which we both were wearing.  I had a couple of chances at the appetizers there before I had to leave for the call.  Occupants smell smoke and are evacuating the home.  Next the alarm company receives smoke alarm notifications.  Then they report fire sprinkler had gone off.  First due engine reports heavy smoke in crawl space.

To make a very long night of strategies and tactics sum up quickly.  Upon arrival, I took Incident Command.  We lost the house.  Per our local GIS, it is worth >$12 million dollars.  I would guess the artwork inside was worth that much or more.  The owner noted there was artwork that was over 2000 years old inside the home.

Mike arrived later to be an important responder helping immensely with air supply and water operations.  His vast years of being on the department make him an especially valued responder.  All have great respect for Captain Trumbower (including the Incident Commander)!

Here is the news report which I am so pleased that they actually reported what I said to the reporter correctly!  Big Christmas Fire

By the time it was all over, I had been awake for 31 hours.  I got home at 1pm, pulled my ugly Christmas sweater off, took a shower, and spent the rest of Christmas day sleeping. 

It's hard to lose a house when you are a firefighter.  We go home with our tails between our legs, heads drooping.  With fire in the crawl space and probably already into the walls upon our arrival, we had little chance of winning.  Still, a very very sad day for a family who put their love and hearts into a spectacular home.




No comments: