Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Living A Full Life

The other day, I advised my worn-out overworked and exhausted friend Jason to not let life pass him by.  Sharing the story with Mike, he commented that perhaps I was not one to give out this advice; implying of course, that perhaps I too might be worn-out, overworked, and exhausted. 

It is true.  We have been insanely busy with overloaded plates.  At work and at home.  Still, it feels like a very full life not a life running me over.  When I get overwhelmed, I celebrate the many things I can get done in a day and am physically able to do.  No, life if not running by me.  I'm living it very very fully.  Mike might feel a bit overwhelmed.  He has no water in his irrigation ditch.  The new diesel pump sits quite next to a dried out irrigation ditch.  The water seeps into our neighbor's field creeping every so slowly our direction.  Today he is meeting with someone about the potential to pipe the ditch.  I think he has some moments of overwhelm-syndrome!

Our pack trip was wonderful, excluding a brief moment of terror as we watched Mike and his floating mule bob down a very swift section of the elk fork.  Call Mike for the story.  Everyone on the pack trip was relieved Mike did not drown, Cosmo the mule did not float away or drown, we all were able to cross the raging river, and there were no further near-miss events.

Summer is full-on now.  A week of heat has prompted the fire danger to elevate into High Fire Danger.  A couple of fires dink around forest acres; carefully being monitored by Forest Service personnel.  With the cool and wet spring, there are heavy fine fuels (grasses and the sort), to take a small ignition and translate it into a raging wildland fire.  We will have a long fire season, I fear, this year.

Here are some pack trip pictures from my camera. 

CHECK LIST FOR A PACK TRIP:


Leave the comforts of home.  This picture taken from Seth and Alden's front deck at their lovely home near Cody, Wy. 



Pack up, weigh out, and lay out loads for mules to carry to camp. 


Load the four legged workers.


Travel down the trail.  Nine miles to camp!


Breath a sigh of relief.  Site of the near-drowning for Mike and Cosmo.


Arrive at camp.  Relax and enjoy.  








No comments: