Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Goodbye Rusty Parrot

The Rusty Parrot.  An icon of Jackson Hole.  For years, the only 5 start inn in Wyoming.  Built of sturdy logs, shiny and strong, the fire won the battle.  Jackson loses this iconic hotel, tucked in the corner of the town, a get away for many travelers.  I'm sure they all remember their visit; the helpful staff, the delicious food created in the small but ambitious kitchen, the wall of wonderful wines to choose, the soft bed linens, the quiet restful nights.  Here is how it looked before last night's late night fire.  Pre Fire Rusty Parrot

My heart aches for this loss.  The family built their place of business in 1990.  Their lives are woven into the fabric of this address.  They watch the night through, wrought with loss and uncertain of what will come next.

A neighbor businessman stops by to see the destruction.  His eyes fill with tears when I grab his arm, saying there is only one address that would be an even more terrible loss, his famous Blue Lion Restaurant.  We stand, embraced in Miller Park, tears welling up in our eyes, reminding each other that no lives were lost.  No lives were lost.  Fire marks those who are forever branded by its sear.

Here is one of the many news reports.  I have been quoted saying the word "shit".  At first, I was aghast and then I thought about it.  Shit happens.  It is really shitty this happened.  Mom says shit is not a swear word.  I hope our community will understand my use of this word to describe, well, this shitty fire.

One Of Many News Articles

No comments: