Tuesday, August 10, 2021

For the Love of Borage

This new plant has me captivated.  I am in love with borage.  Germinating from a seed pollinated by one of my bees last year, it has sprouted from the soil with zeal.  Elongated fuzzy light green leaves are the indicator of a successful borage germination.  I learned this year that borage does not take well to transplanting.  However, a few of my transplants pulled it together and survived.  (I am not careful or gentle when I transplant.  This is a real test of the plant when I dig it up and move it.  Be tough and survive or you don't get to go to as many new places!). 

The flowers emerge in a lovey pink which transitions to the prettiest sky blue seen on earth.   Stars of blue decorate the tall hairy leafy flower stalk, blue targets for incoming pollinators.  I stand and look at it all.  The large section of borage, black eyed Susans, and vetch.  There are hummingbirds, bees, and bumble bees visiting.  The patch is alive with movement.  It is an awesome sight.  I could stand there for hours!  





No comments: