Monday, March 6, 2023

Gardening

"I hate this weather," my friend Brenda spit out.  "It's getting in the way of my gardening!"  Brenda and I have much in common.  She too despises meetings where people talk.  Meetings are where we get things done!  Not talk.  Brenda is funny, bright, and blunt.  She has bees.  And her husband is nice. 

Today, I shoveled a path into both greenhouses.  It makes me feel hopeful.  Although the west wind was sharp, the sun heated my black sweater and as I covered my rock-hard frozen planters with black plastic, I hoped they too would feel that solar heat.  


Here a sunflower pokes its snow topped head out of the four feet of snow.  It's down to zero tonight; not much melting happening!  


Always an optimist!  I dream of maybe some lettuce here in the next bit - or so.  



And doesn't this lil greenhouse look so cute, all snuggled in with snow?  And how about that black snow storm against the mountains to the east?  Thanks to a wicked wind storm earlier this winter, this lil greenhouse will have a harder time warming up; panels missing and cracked.  The weather is tough on things. 

Brenda's birthday is Friday.  She and her nice husband will come and sit at our table with two other nice people and I will cook and create beautiful food for beautiful people, we will drink wine (well, they will; I'm still not drinking), tell stories, and celebrate this wonderful, amazing thing called life.  Even if winter continues to be determined to stay far beyond its welcome this year.  Happy Birthday, My Gardening Friend!! 

No comments: