Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Latest Obsession


The fastest growing sport in the country, Pickleball has become my latest obsession.  Having played hours of racetball with Diana Carlson back at the Ottawa YMCA, the translation into pickleball wasn't too tough.  I started the second week in November and recently kept up with the Big Dogs on the court!  It's addictive, it's fun, it's social, and it's a good workout.  The only downside is that I really do not have time and certainly will not have time come summer. 

Of course, I realize it is only I who make these decisions on how I spend my day.  Now over a year into retirement, it has occured to my daft mind that I am now living the BEST DAYS OF MY LIFE!  My audiance of bread lovers would be crushed if I put aside bread making to play pickleball.  I love my garden and greenhouse and must plant in the dirt.  There isn't much I really want to give up!  Living the full life and loving it! 

Our trip to New Orleans started off with an ominious beginning at 3am the morning we crawled out of bed to get up to Jackson for our 7am flight.  As I turned off my clock alarm, there it was, a message saying, "your flight has been cancelled."  After some phone calls, we were rebooked and arrived at the New Orleans Marriot - right in the heart of the city - at 1am.  I was able to deliver my two presentations the next day to nice crowds of interested people.  

My favorite part of the trip was happening upon this marching band practising in a parking lot down by the river.  Watch the video and turn up the sound!  They were awesome!! 


We had a great visit with nephew Taylor, his lovely wife MC, and their cute creation, Buck!  A delicious jumbalia and guacamoli I shall try to recreate, we were so happy we could hang! 



Walking around this historic town was very nice, given good weather and a New Orleans kind of ambiance.  It was nice to be so close to so many historic places. 





This last picture is from a cafe stop for beignets; those powder sugar coated fried puffs of deliciousness!  

Of course, winter decided to arrive when we left.  Thanks to our awesome care-taker Sammi, all was in order and good shape upon our return!  

It's been warm here and the snow is sloppy and settling.  I checked bees yesterday and both hives by the house are alive and buzzing.  The horses chomp on hay, bored and well-fed.  

Mike is taking the dogs for a walk - I've got a pickleball game to play!!  


No comments: