Monday, April 27, 2009

Fire Science Education




Many of you know I am working on a Fire Science Degree through Casper College. Although somewhat reluctant to initially believe this type of education would be very valuable, now finishing up my first semester, I confess, I was WRONG!!

I'd like to share my latest assignment with you all. It was so profound to learn about the fire disaster and the 9 NIOSH firefighter fatalities in the furniture store in Charleston, SC! Please print this out and read it; there are so many interesting points. Let me cap a few for you, in case your life is crazy and you really don't have time!
  • The supply line to the very large furniture store was 50 sections of 2 1/2" hose. The 4" supply lines did not get established with water flowing until close to an hour after the call came in.

  • The very large 51,500 ft2 structure SHOULD have been sprinklered per their ordinances.

  • 28 gallon cans of extremely flammable solvents were found inside the loading dock, the area the fire began.

  • One of the engines had a "touchy" pump and was difficult to get engaged to pump water to the fire.

So many things to learn in a report like this. And so many things to learn in general!! If you are interested in expanding your fire education, there may be no time better than the present.

A Wyoming Volunteer Grant may very well make this type of education possible. I have been exploring ways to make this work for any of you interested. I believe I have an avenue. Please contact me at kclay@tetonwyo.org if you want more info. Although it is challenging, an online education is just like anything else - you get out of it what you put in!



No comments: