Thursday, March 31, 2016

Uninspired

 Really????  I took some time off work today to start getting the greenhouse ready.  Yesterday was sunny and warm......the greenhouse was 87 in the afternoon!  And look what is going on now!   Arrrrrrggghhhh!!  So, I have been pulling up high altitude gardening blogs.  Found one I really liked.  Check her out.  Kate lives in Park City.  I think we would enjoy each other's company!  Kate's Blog  She even uses the same blogger as me!!  Check out the giant pumpkin she grew!!  That's pretty impressive to pull off in Park City, UT!

 
So the bags of dirt (I am embarrassed to tell  you how much I spent on this dirt) are for tomato growing in the greenhouse.  The amount spent would have bought a bunch of organic tomatoes!  But what's the fun in that? 
 
One of the problems of being brought up an Illinois farm girl is that you take dirt for granted.  Plant the seeds and get out of the way in Illinois!  Not so around here.  To start, the "free" dirt is heavy and filled with clay.  It goes from gooey mud to hard as a rock.  Not many plants can handle this kind of dirt.  Poppies, I have found, are successful.
 
I bought a ranunculus last week.  Beautiful thing.  Makes me think of peonies; oh, how I wish they would grow here for me!  I remember three big bushy plants out by the apple trees on the Illinois farm.  Dripping with ants, we would pick the flowers and vase them.  How lovely a flower!  Here is a neat blog site on growing ranunculus and anemones Peonies-Like Beauties
 
So until things warm up, I am forced to dream, plan, buy store flowers, and clean the chicken coop.  Joy.  Off to do that next after I put on my winter boots and jacket!
 
 

No comments: