Friday, October 14, 2016

Out The Back Door

Thanks to a 14 hour day of work on Wednesday, I allowed myself some time off yesterday for a walk out the back door.  Behind our house is a vast land of national forest - uphill, all the way.

Panting up the steep slope - slung rifle, shooting sticks and back pack filled with license, knives, flashlights, water and sweater - my mind relaxes as the worries or work and the world are lost on the trail behind.  A blustery wind whips the naked aspen branches, most of the leaves have fallen to the ground now.  On the trail below my feet are tracks from a horse who has been over this trail since last week's rain.  The toe prints of a deer can been seen every now and then.  I see no sign of elk until I have walked - climbed - for over an hour. Their tracks are few and not very fresh.

Sneaking into a grove of heavy bushes and aspen, that feeling of being the prey prompts me to look around.  I feel like something is watching me.  Look up for a mountain lion.  Look around for a wolf.  Look behind for a coyote.  I get this feeling during most hunts.  That feeling of prey vs. predator.

Overhead, a bald eagle leaves its high perch and soars out against the wind.  Envious, I wonder if he sees an elk.  He banks at the mountain's shoulder and returns with the wind behind.


The climb continues.  I am sweaty enough to dig in the pack for a sweater.  A bush offers cover and I sit to watch dusk arrive.  Nothing moves.  I have, thus far, seen chickadees, giving me away with their chick-a-dee-dee-dee calls and a mouse jump across the trail.  That is all I will see this evening as I creep down the steep trail home, thinking of my Grandfather and his bad knees!  The sky darkens, the wind blows around my head, and I am happy.






 

No comments: