Tuesday, December 13, 2016

A Personal Break

After a professional disappointment yesterday - I was not named Interim Chief, the battalion chief with more seniority was awarded the position - I took some time off.  A quiet morning of wrapping of a few gifts, cooking some elk soup, a nice ski around the place, and after this, a quick dip in the hot tub before heading to get an afternoon's worth of work accomplished.  I am certain, I do more in an afternoon than many get done all day.  Just sayin'.

The ski was great.  First time out this year.  It was not really skiing though.  Six fluffy inches of snow made for ski walking.  Sliissh, slissh, slissh.  The skis sink into the fluff and I slissh my way up hill.  In 30 minutes, sweat is dripping down my back.  Slissh, slissh, slissh.  In ten more minutes, sweat trickles down my front.  There are animal tracks everywhere.  This looks to be a tough winter for our furry friends.  On the horizon, yet another winter storm coming our way with predictions of six more inches of snow.  Then an artic blast promising temperatures to maybe hit zero! 



 
As I returned home for this outside jaunt, lungs filled with cold, fresh air, I count my blessings, feel relief that I am still the Fire Marshal, there are quiet mornings for skiing, and good health to do it all!  

No comments: