Saturday, February 24, 2018

Tips for Stephanie!

(Or anyone else ready to make their own fermented vegetables!)  Here are some tips for jumping into fermenting.  I'd love for you to link into Amazon with these items  (Amazon is about to pull my account, as no one has linked in to order.....)

The following is in no particular order and random!  Sort of like my life!!

Salt.  Ridiculously expensive, this salt is perfect for fermenting.  And it's beautiful.  Nothing else in it but salt.  Love this stuff - thanks Coralia for this gift which I now use all the time!  Awesome Salt

Lids.  I think fermenting in one quart jars is the way to go.  Small batches are ready in 2-3 weeks, fun to watch, and pretty on the edges of the counter (where it is dark).  These lids are easy to open, have a cool way to mark the day the product starts, and breath out only, keeping this process anaerobic.  It's really easy to over-fill a jar and lose that wonderful brine.  I recommend a 3/4 full jar.  These lids come with a pump which removes air when you store your ferment.  Trouble is, then your lid ends up on a jar in the fridg.  Mine are in constant use, so this "bonus" isn't that handy.  Wide Mouth Fermenting Lids

Weights.  You need weights to hold the whole thing down.  Once the bacteria get going, things start happening in your jar.  Do not buy the ones that are just flat.  Mistake (take it from me!).  Get the kind you can pick up from the top of the jar.  I love these Glass Weights for Inside of Jar

Pounder.  I resisted this thing and now, for reasons of being in a hurry and not paying attention, I now have two!  They are good tools.  Stephanie, I'll send you my extra on Monday.  It is really important to get your vegetables smashed into the jar tight.  Air is not good.  This tool beats the heck out of pushing it down with your fist (again, I speak from experience!).  Packing Tool

Help.  This is the very best fermenter out there online.  She is passionate.  Sign up to help Holly reach 50,000 people fermenting in a year.  Her recipes are spot-on.  Every one I have made has been delicious!  Holly Howe Rocks!

Recipe Book.  This was one of the first things I got when inspiration hit.  The book is beautiful and walks you through process.  Recipes galore as well.  It's worth the money if you are jumping into fermenting.  Recipe Cookbook

Lastly, don't be afraid.  This process gets the pH down to a safe level for preservation.  Don't cook this stuff - you kill all the beneficial bacteria!  Be inspired, there are a zillion combinations of things to ferment - I've used fresh cranberries in a batch and they were amazing!  Enjoy!  Besides the health benefits, your fermented creations will be delicious!!  

Many of the below are coming out of their jars this week!!  Yum!!

No comments: