Saturday, April 20, 2019

30-Plus Procrastination

In my 20s, I had a doctor who smoked.  Although I did not know this when I first start seeing him, I did find it somewhat disturbing, although sincerely human, once I found out.  Anyway, he was the first one to tell me I had polyps in my nose.  And what caused these polyps, asked I.  Allergies, he replied.  We can surgically remove them, but they will just grow back until you manage your allergies.

So, after 3 bouts of bronchitis this year, two visits to the ENT doc and one visit to a pulmonologist, all concurred it was time to take care of the polyps.

The surgery was scheduled for two hours.  I showed up at the hospital yesterday morning at 0800 and began the prepping for this surgery.  A friend and a Jackson Hole Fire/EMS paramedic dropped my tube - which was nice. (I had to be put under for this surgery which requires a breathing tube).

Another friend described the pain I would feel when I awoke to be similar to a bunch of bee stings in my nose.  It wasn’t quite like that for me; more of a headache and raw feeling.  I accepted the Percoset from the nurse and enjoyed a nice afternoon nap after Mike delivered me home.

One no longer gets one’s nose packed in gauze, which I must confess, was one of the reasons for procrastination!  A gauze pad was placed beneath my nostrils to catch the draining liquids.  And drain they are draining

Earlier this spring, when I wrote about my ice hematoma, a dear friend - who will be very interested in this surgical procedure, wondered if I was “attention seeking” with all of my injury writing.  I kind of took this personally.  This blog is a place for me to write.  They say if you want to be a better writer, you should write.  I think my skills have improved.  One writes about the things one knows.  I am just telling my story.  Up close and personal sometimes.  Very human - like the doctor from Illinois.

After my long nap, Mike and I delivered ourselves to our place of refuge in Freedom.  The snow is off the fields!  We watched a pair of sandhill cranes amble across the alfalfa field as we at dinner late last night.  Slowly, ever so slowly, the season is changing.

Mike’s mule Cosmo is lame.  After a long session with Doc Griggs, he will get an X-ray next week to determine his fate.  We are hoping for the best, but it could be bad.  Leg issues are rarely something that can be fixed.  He is our youngest mule.  He is Mike’s mule.  It will be a very big and sad loss to have to say goodbye to Cosmo.  More on this as we learn his issue.

When I was a new fire inspector, my boss - the then-Fire Marshal - told me I should look into some writing classes.  I took that personally too.  Funny how some things just stab a bit deep.  I enjoy writing and thank you Readers for your time and attention.  Your interest, your kind words, and your critiques.  Often, we are inspired by others, even when it stings a bit.

Now. What to do about the allergies......

No comments: