Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Many Books

We are pawing through our stuff.  Lately, our books.  Hard cover, soft cover, old and new.  All books are getting examined, thought about, remembered and for the most part, sent off to the recycle center.  

Recently discovered, our recycle center has one of those giant sized heavy duty cardboard boxes to drop your finished softcover book or your finished hardcovered book.  As you prepare to unload your burden, it is impossible to not look at the selection, scattered about below.  With great discipline, one must drop and go, otherwise, the temptation to pick an interesting title could cause the burden of books to return to the dusty empty shelf.  So many books, so little time!  

Here's the remarkable thing!  We have two copies of three titles!  Not a surprise, UNDAUNTED COURAGE , soft cover, long version.  What a great book.  I could see Lewis and Clark make their way west as I gobbled up that book, enchanted.  If you know Mike and I and the book, it will not be hard to believe we own two of this title.  I will be recycling not one, but two copies of this excellent book, hoping someone else will enjoy the treat. 

The next two book titles surprised me!  Although I listened to this wonderful book on Audible, we still have two copies (both Michael's I am sure) of ANGLE OF REPOSE by Wallace Stegner.  Oh how this book pulled at my heart strings.  What a wonderfully written story.  Off to the recycle box where hopefully someone will hesitate just long enough to reach down, pick it and and read this master piece. 

The last book (at least thus far in the cleaning quest) is WAR AND PEACE  Now, I realize this is a classic.  I tried.  I tired really hard to get through its massive tome.  All copies of this book will go to the big box.  And there, I bet, they will remain.  On to their final destiny.  I wonder what that is......

We suffered through a gale force storm two nights ago which ripped down a famous movie screen on the other side of the Tetons.  HERE IS THE NEWS REPORT .  Tragic for so many.  Childhood, teen, and adult memories toppled down by the invisible 2 am Hand of the Wind.  Rumor is, locals will rebuild.  

The storm also brought back winter with three inches of snow and cold temperatures.  My bees cannot be impressed.  I watch one hive in Freedom, the population quickly dwindling.  Bees will break your heart, they will. 

I've been making a sourdough bread with "local" - as local as you get when you are in Jackson - wheat.  This is 80 whole wheat and 20 white from a Wyoming Heritage Grains near the Big Horn Mountains.  This is Mike's favorite of the breads I make.  

And now, back to the bookshelf! 



No comments: