Monday, April 4, 2022

April & The Topic of Fools

It's spring.  We have a high wind warning for this afternoon and this evening.  Threats of 80mph wind gusts waft about the office and email.  Snow flakes zip by my window.  Blustery is a word that comes to mind. 

Had a great conversation with a fellow beekeeper this morning about how obsessed we bee people are - especially this time of the year.  "Things are buzzing" has many meanings!  We laughed about obsessing more over the health and well-being of our bees over that of our dogs!  Imagine the horror of going out to your beloved bee hives and seeing this!!  This picture taken from a friend's brother in laws apiary near Rochester, NY.  Apparently there are bears there.  What a travesty!  This beekeeper will be staring over.  



Here is a video from my very populated hive in Hoback.  This hive did remarkable this year and already has brood (for you non-bee people, that means eggs and pupa; ie, new bees are coming!).  Sunday afternoon was warm.  The new bees were out making figure 8s in front on the hive.  This is their way of learning where home is located - did you know bees use the sun to figure out where to go? Click on the arrow, it should play. 


I am currently just about finished with a really great book.  This book has made me think about drinking beer (I really don't like the stuff), drink wine, mixed up a rum cocktail, then enjoyed some dark brewed coffee, pondered if a tea bush could grow in Wyoming, and now on what will probably be the last chapter, I contemplate how much I hate sugary cola drinks!  It's been an awesome book.  I give it five stars! 


Meanwhile, we sort.  We sort through all the things two people can acquire in sixty years.  Mike has filing cabinets filled with papers, a plethora of photographs on the wall, and enough ball caps to cap an army.  Literally!  I have a kitchen with just about every gadget imaginable.  An Insta Pot that makes amazing yogurt from a half gallon of milk I got from a friend.  A Cuisanart Food Processor which I am in so much love I cannot imagine a kitchen without it!  My trusty little bread lame, oh how I love you and your carved walnut surface with the very sharp blade! You have help me score scores of loaves of aromatic sourdough loaves.  My current worry is that the new kitchen will not house all the items I currently have crammed into every nook and cranny in the very small kitchen.....it is a serious and sincere concern. 

This is a daunting task.  I would feel very sorry for children having to sort through all of this nonsense when we are gone - if we had them!  





 

No comments: