Friday, April 21, 2023

Caretaking

 My friend Stephanie was lamenting the olther day about how she hates the now-walking age her son Cody has grown into.  "He can kill himself at any moment," she mused, "I can't take my eyes off of him when he is awake."  I believe she made a remark about no common sense as well. 

As Rooster begins day one of healing up after yesterday's vet visit, I feel a sense of her angst.  He is not to lick, not to access his scrotum (now absent of testicles) or his eyes (the bottom lid cut and stiched together to keep that lower lid from scratching his eyes).  We started the day with 25 mg of Ace (Stephanie does not have this option) and it knocked him out.  By noon, he was starting to come out of the fog and we are opting for the giant cone this afternoon.  Especially this first day, I feel like it is important to keep a close eye on him, ensuring the healing process gets off to a good start.  He manages the cone fairly well, overall.  


We awoke to a winter storm warning and snow - which, now 3:30pm, it is still snowing.  It's a good day to watch a child.  I've made 4 loaves of bread, three batches of Brain Health Muffins, and been on two zoom meetings.  A good day to be inside. 

Rooster.  On the Mend. 

No comments: