Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Another Appliance

We live in a small space.  There is no room for superfluous items.  In fact, it would be good to cull some things away to the second hand store!

So, when I kept reading about this new contraption called the Insta Pot, I resisted.  The thing kept showing up - especially on one of my favorite blog sites, French Blog Writer .  She raved about the thing.

Then, I had some baked beans made by a friend after branding their calves and cows.  The beans were delicious!  Pam couldn't quit raving about the thing and went on and on about its many features.

So, I did some research.  This is an electric pressure cooker, a crock pot, a machine that can saute and then pressure or slow cook, a really great RICE cooker (something I've always wanted but hesitated on getting; another appliance!), and much more, from what I'm learning.

The thing is intimidating.  I will confess, I was intimidated.  There are a bunch of buttons and it's a pressure cooker!!  Following the directions, learning the parts and buttons, one can feel comfortable using the thing in two or three tries.

So far, I've made two successful batches of jasmine rice.  Easy peasy and quick!  I pressure cooked up a thin sliced tri tip and seasoned it into something quite delicious and tender for an excellent dish served over the rice.  Last night, a whole chicken went into the thing.  In less than an hour, the chicken was tender and cooked through with nice, tasty juices - to serve over the rice!

Anyway, I recommend this.  Yes, it is one more appliance.  However, currently the thing now lives on my stove top - and not only for the reason that I haven't figured out where to store it - I'm using the thing every chance I can.

A great gift for your favorite cook who is sure to groan about another appliance, certain to be a bit intimidated by all the buttons, and almost guaranteed to fall in love with the thing!! All this for $100!!

PS.  There are tons of recipes on Pinterest.

No comments: