Monday, July 3, 2017

The Art of Cutting Grass

In the midwest - and probably around the country - large lawns reflect on one's wealth.  Growing up on the farm, we had an enormous lawn, or so it seemed to those of us charged with cutting the lawn.  A white and yellow Cub Cadet riding mower was the tool to get the job done and the job was one the youth were tasked with performing.

I recall Dad critiquing my grass cutting skills, "You're just driving around and around in circles."  As I cut the grass at our new place in Freedom, I ponder this comment, remembered from my youth so well.  To this day, I still don't understand how else one can cut grass.  As I work toward straight lines (always a goal), I find myself.....going around and around in circles.

The lawn at Hoback is a long narrow lawn on a fairly steep slope.  You ride the side of the seat most of the time to keep from tipping over.  In some places, the slope is steep enough the gas won't flow in the fuel line and you have to aggressively rock the mower - on the slope - to keep fuel running until you level out.  To date, I have not tipped over the mower.

Mike has me cut at the highest setting.  When completed, the thick lush lawn looks like a polar fleece green blanket with lighter shades of green striping it lengthwise.

I long to cut this yard on the diagonal.  The steep slope makes it pretty much impossible, but I still yearn to cut across the grain.  The small square lawn at the Jean Street AFrames made diagonal cutting a breeze and I'd change up each time I cut. Diagonal to the right, diagonal to the left, then straight across.  There are few things more visually pleasing than a fresh cut, straight-lined lawn.  This could be a personal penchant toward nicely kept lawns, I fully realize.

A day off - of work at the Franch - tomorrow.  This is the week to get gathered up for the annual pack trip vacation.  A break will be nice!




No comments: