Saturday, January 6, 2018

Aerobic Activity

There is a gal in Jackson who makes really good and interesting fermented vegetables.  The name of her company is Daily Roots and by clicking on her link you can find out all the goodness of eating fermented vegetables. 

I've always stayed away from these kraut-like things, mainly because of the salt.  Turns out, there is not nearly as much salt as I thought.  Especially if you make this stuff yourself.

For my last purchase from Daily Roots, I paid $13/pint and $23 quart for fermented mixes.  They make great gifts.  I'm all about supporting local businesses, but at that price, well, I figured I could figure out how to do this....!!  I recall pickles in a big, heavy crock, a blue label impressed in the crackly ceramic container.  It was not an event I took part in or paid any attention to at all!

I found a book on Amazon called Fermented Vegetables .  I liked the cover!  One more Amazon order for a good fermenting jar made by Kilner and then off to the grocery store I went!

Here is what is in my first (rookie) batch:  red cabbage, green cabbage, 3 beets, 2 blood oranges, 3/4 sliced red onion, some cranberries, a 1/4 of seaweed, ginger, mustard seed, and sea salt.  The books says, "it all depends" on when it is done.  Four or five days.....a week....they say you know when it tastes right!  That should be hard to know that moment when it tastes right, having never done this before.....

Here is the jar, packed and full.  Ready for some aerobic action!! 

No comments: