Monday, June 29, 2020

Mission Statement

The Fire Service has taught me about the value of a mission statement.  I have a mission statement for just about every serious life-topic. 

When I started raising bees three summers ago, my mission statement was two-fold.  To help the bees survive and to produce comb honey.  Winters are hard in Wyoming and I have lost entire colonies.  I am learning that some of this loss is due to my mismanagement.  Hopefully, I can figure this out and help them through the long, hard winter.

Thanks to the epic swarm I caught in early June, I now have comb honey!  Lesson here is one needs lots and lots of bees to make comb honey!!  Very exciting!  This will be a continued quest each summer; to figure out how to get my bees to build comb honey. 

Here are six beautiful comb honey squares waiting to be packaged.  Notice how each square is a different color reflecting the flowers the bees were working on when they were bringing back the nectar to the colony.  One bee will produce about 1/4 of a teaspoon of honey during her short, six week life.  Think about that as you look at this amazing picture of honey combs. 


No comments: