Sunday, April 9, 2017

Hibiscus

One of my traits is that when I get into something, I get into it!  Take, for example, hibiscus.  The infused tequila turned out surprisingly delicious!  So, how about strawberry hibiscus jam?  Why not?  I didn't follow any rules - why it may not set up real jam-like! - but the stuff is an amazing color and tastes just as amazing.  Go find some dried hibiscus flowers and give this a try!


Wash, hull and thinly slice two pounds of strawberries.  Throw in 3 cups of sugar and let it sit in the fridg overnight.  Take a blender (I used my Nutriblender) and buzz up 1/3 cup of dried hibiscus flowers (dry), then add 1/2 hot water to bring out the color and hydrate the tiny flower pieces.  Let them chill in the fridg too.  Next day, throw the strawberries in a sauce pan with a thinly sliced lemon (I used a Meyer lemon).  Boil until you realize you really probably should have put in the pectin!  Take a package of SureJell and mix it into the hibiscus fluid.  Stir well, add to the boiling strawberries, bring to a full boil and taste!  This is really, really good jam with a beautiful color! 

I think if I did this right - the SureJell way - it would be jammy.  Still, thick and delicious, I don't think it will go to waste! 

No comments: