Friday, April 28, 2017

Last Night in Indy

Black clouds cut by lightning knives from the sky and quarter sized rain drops finish off this Friday evening.  I have been darn busy here at FDIC.  Too busy to post - obviously!  Apologies for that.  The sea of firefighters is impressive.  The convention center is impressive; lined with vendors pushing their products.  A stadium filled with apparatus did not get viewed, for all the other activities.  I have been overwhelmed. 

The presentation went well this morning.  A man from Sweden, couple of guys from Aspen, one from Idaho - a total of a bit over 30.  Every class has an evaluation form for the students and we instructors are allowed to review them.  I was pleased with the reviews and nudged in a couple of suggestions for an improved presentation next year.  It is an honor and privilege to have this opportunity to be a FDIC instructor.  I am humbled.  I come home with an Instructor's name badge, a certificate, and a FDIC challenge coin....soon to be framed and posed with great pride on my wall. 

Opening session was standing room only.  I heard there were over 5K people there.  Bobby Halton gave an impassioned speech on Duty.  Bag pipes brought in the flag and played "Amazing Grace" as the names of the 2016 LODD were displayed on the big screen.  Not too many dry eyes in the room right then!  Here is a picture of the crowd.



Six degrees of separation happened too often to be believable!  Ran into some firefighters who said, "hey, we know someone who used to live in Jackson!"  Of course, you have to ask who - they work alongside Freddy!!  We laughed and laughed, making the connection!

Tonight, on the way home in the bus shuttle, a pile of guys exit, leaving one lone man who moves from the back and asks, "You're from Jackson?"  I nod.  "I applied for the Fire Marshal job out there a few years back!"  He didn't realize he was talking to the person who got that job back then!  We shook our heads in amazement, that in this throng of firefighter mass population, he and I would happen chance to meet!  Crazy!

When I travel, Jackson Hole is my identity.  I can strike up conversations with anyone!  This morning on the bus ride over I had the nicest conversation with Mr. Roper.  A black man, born and raised in Montgomery Alabama, we shared our enjoyment for morning, as the sky turned firey red on the eastern horizon.  His daddy was a cotton farmer.  He and his wife have been married 52 years.  We chatted on and on sharing life's joys.  It was a really great way to start the day.

Packed up and alarm clock set for 4am (groan), I am ready to return to Wyoming.  Sleep well, my friends - old and new. 

No comments: