Sunday, August 20, 2017

Eclipse Diaries, Day Five

We prepared for a lion.  So far, kittens are all that have shown up.

Another quiet stretch of time with minimal events leads all of our organizations to consider ramping down.  A tough decision for leaders.  We all know the switch could still get switched on.  There is risk to sending folks home.

This morning's pre-briefing starts at 0630.  Ugh.  In order to get in some hot tub time, shower, and coffee, the alarm clock breaks into my deep sleep at 0500.  The hot tub lid flops open, breaking the morning's hushed silence.  Orion sits on the eastern horizon and Pleiaides bunches its triangle formation just above.  Clouds creep across the darkened sky.  A hummingbird zips by on its way to the feeder; early riser too.  Mike and I soak and quietly talk about the day ahead.  Shared moments are few for this couple during these long days of summer.

My crew today is on the west bank of the valley.  I load up their breakfast and lunch bags and journey over the Snake River; the official dividing line of the valley floor.  Somewhat like the Mason-Dixon line, crossing the river takes one to the high-end side of the valley.  The line's divider is well-known amongst locals.  The crew's briefing format is relaxed.  They chatter, all over the place on topic selection; I let them wander about in their conversation before directing a more formal overview.  An hour later we finish and I head out to get a glimpse of Teton Village.  Driving through the residential areas, every driveway has a car.  Cars are parked along roads.  This place is filled up.  There are bikers, runners, walkers, and para-gliders dropping from the sky.  Orange cones are every where; fluorescent predictors of a road to be closed tomorrow.

Traffic on the main road is not bad and I easily enter my lane without delay.  A drive south to the town of Wilson.  There are people out the door and lined up for breakfast at the famous Nora's Fish Creek Inn.  Their huevos rancheros dish, topped in homemade green chili sauce, is the best.  I want to tell them their wait is well spent.  Roll up that warm flour tortilla, dip it in that hot sauce and grab a mouth full of over-easy eggs and you will understand why the wait was worth the time!

Settled in at the desk at Fire Station 2, I join a conference call arranged by the Incident Commander.  We are briefed on the weather for today - low humidity and stronger winds will contribute to wildland fire behaviors, should we get a fire.  Grand Teton Park is opening a section of road from the main highway to the town of Kelly at 0500.  One way traffic with parking adjacent could be a very popular ticket for Eclipse watchers.  A traffic jam is anticipated.  The road is directly below the path of totality.  Had I not taken my oath years ago and be free to do what I wanted to do for the day, I think I'd get in line.  It will be a great place to be and a 5 mile tailgate party!! I'd throw the grill in the back of the pickup and pack the fixings for bloody mary's with eggs and bacon!  Or maybe I'd be in the hills on my mule....

Instead, I will leave Hoback at 0430 to try to make the 47 mile drive north and get to Moran Fire Station 4 by 0700.

Here is what we are hoping for tomorrow.  It is going to be an amazing experience.  I love how the weather station got this pre-view made for us!  Check it out at What It Is Like To Watch a Total Eclipse 

We wait.  We wonder.  The anticipation of the thing has us collectively holding our breath.  Worry, concern, some fear, and a whole lot of excitement continues to build!



No comments: